I’ve spent quite a lot of time trying to understand the differences between the several flavours of the “web mercator” coordinate system used by many web-based mapping systems to store and present their data. Various names, various EPSG codes, various definitions and various conversions are all in use. So I was pleased to come across this detailed explanation. It’s not a quick read, but it does make sense of a fraught field – thank you to Alastair Aitchison.
- Measure polygon areas in free version of Google Earth
- Google Earth measures distances as great circles
- ArcGIS: altering display properties of ArcGIS Online services
- ArcGIS: copying labelling between layers
- ArcGIS: create features while a definition query applies?
- “Web mercator” coordinate system: explained!
- Using QGIS for wildlife training in Tanzania
- Maps, models, and mechanisms
- Google Earth installer
- Juba – boom town